Tuesday 19 May 2020


Dr. Stone 150: Like I kind of expressed in my thoughts about Haikyuu!!, I really don’t like it when a manga introduces an adversary who just does what the main character does in similar circumstances, but better. Even if the hero manages to overcome their rival, they just no longer seem unique. I don’t know if that’s what’s happening here, there may well be a twist like the Americans are being guided by an AI or have reference materials to follow. We’ll see.
Bone Collection 3: This manga continues to swing between unfunny boob jokes and genuinely funny gags. I liked the easily-bribed headmaster and Rino’s weird reaction to this absurd situation. Their confrontation was kinda funny but as a gag manga, this is totally getting outclassed by Agravity Boys and Moriking. We’ll see if a more serious challenge from this Abe character makes the series a bit more compelling.
The Promised Neverland 177: From what I’ve seen, others in the fandom are actually moved by this situation but it just seems way too contrived to resonate with me. In other circumstances I could see this same situation having a high impact but it was just set up in such a fake way. I think the character was a good one and did get redeemed even if a lot of her more sinister behaviour was just skipped over but this was just too rushed and artificial for me.
Majo no Moribito 14: Okay, almost nothing happened here. Yes, there was a fight scene, and I guess there was a deeply unimpressive new power revealed in the flame shield, but the attacks from the current adversary character were the same as before and compared with the inventive and quirky fights that the best of the Jump titles constantly put out.

No comments:

Post a Comment