Monday 30 December 2019

One Punch Man manga 124: Pochi is such a cute doggo, lol. This was another fun and impressively-drawn expansion on a short section of the webcomic, and I enjoyed it a fair bit. I wish we could get more!
Chainsawman 52: kind of unexpected for this major threat to just be quietly eliminated in a back alley, without Denji even being aware. A bit anticlimactic, actually. And not in the clever subversive way this title sometimes manages.
Dr. Stone 134: I’m looking forward to seeing how this progresses! A bit of a one-on-one face-off is a good idea in a manga like this, that’s usually so focused on its ensemble cast. Senkuu is still at a large disadvantage so I’m going to be interested in how things pan out now. It’s going to be satisfying seeing Ibara get his just deserts.
 Dr. Stone Reboot: Byakuya 9: Okay, in the end I finally did feel moved by the nobility of the robot that waits forever for its master. I suppose it’s a different form of the Hachiko story – unwavering loyalty is touching, even if we’re dealing with non-human subjects. I hope all this has a payoff – and I assume it must do, as otherwise the way this side-story ends is a bit too random. I’m looking forward to when Rei enters the main storyline.
Samurai 8 32: I guess there was some nice art. Still very much uninterested, though.
Haikyuu! 378: Ah, as soon as we get back to Japan, things improve with familiar old characters, even in older forms. Apart from him tallness, Tsukki still seems to be my spirit animal – right down to the Kahlua and milk. Buying him a gaudy pink T-shirt was so very Hinata, and Kageyama’s terrible curry commercial was absolute brilliance. Asahi becoming a designer was totally unexpected! I guess it makes sense to close Haikyuu with a confrontation between the two rivals from right at the start, even if I don’t think we needed quite such a long road to get there.  
The Promised Neverland 162: it does make sense to take this back to where it started, much like Haikyuu!, but I still don’t really feel like this can be anything but anticlimactic. The high-fantasy storming of castles and taking down evil queens has left this series with a big void to fill and I’m not convinced it’s doable. We’ll see, though. Mama playing a substantial role will certainly help. 

One Piece 966: I’m finally enjoying this flashback thanks to this impressive clash. And now Oden’s on another boat and we’re getting some more information about the trail Roger left behind him. I guess we’ll know more about the ‘one piece’ by the end of this side-story.

No comments:

Post a Comment