Tuesday 29 October 2019


Haikyuu!! 370: ehhh, I’m not keen at all on this. Skipping through the other high school years and now Kageyama’s an Olympian and Hinata-kun is living in Rio to study beach volleyball and is no longer a cute short boy but a weird muscly little man like that one who went viral for being tiny and angry? Yuck. True, I didn’t predict he would switch to beach volleyball but that’s mostly because it seems like a dumb tangent to take and I don’t see what stakes can be introduced for this final arc that I’ll be interested in.
Chainsawman 44: okay, we knew she was going to go nuts but this was much sooner than I thought it would happen. This free-wheeling manga doesn’t really do slow builds of tension, after all, and I should have remembered the breakneck pace up to here. Still fun, but this ‘Bomb’ design doesn’t quite match up to the others in the manga. It’s just a little too goofy for my tastes.
Dr. Stone 127: Yay, they figured out that things weren’t right and retreated. And now everything’s chaos with a lot of free agents running about, including ones that haven’t been mentioned since the beginning of the arc. This is a lot of fun and I’m looking forward to everything coming to a head.
Dr. Stone Reboot: Byakuya 01: It's very impressive that Boichi was able to release this at the same time as the main series. On the other hand, I didn't actually enjoy it that much and would probably not follow it if it were the first chapter of a main series. The logic of these professional astronauts doesn't ring true, and there were a lot of huge stretches. Especially how they thought of Senku. 
Fake Rebellion 3: After a very shaky start, I really did enjoy this chapter. It may end up being more of a guilty pleasure than a title I really admire, but the idea of using the power of the recently deceased as a kind of 'requiem' that empowers them allows for some very touching moments as well as awesome visuals. I might even steal that idea. A stronger start would have helped a lot - potentially even this chapter - but I have a feeling this title might get better and better. 
Samurai 8 24: ehhh, not very interesting. It's not exactly hugely impressive that Hachimaru can do greater things with two supports than he can solo. And this new adversary coming to challenge our heroes isn't very interesting either. I guess it's a good thing this set-up didn't lead to a tournament arc, but almost half a year into this title running, it's still coasting on the name of its creator. If this had come before Naruto, I don't know if Naruto would even have existed. 
D. Gray-Man 234: I love the Halloween cover! But it's a reminder that we haven't seen Lenalee in many many chapters. But the chapter itself...rapidly had me swinging from approval to disapproval. I loved seeing Road again, younger, and having her interact with Cross. But the implication that the Noah are from another world, potentially OUR world, strikes me as very cheesy and connects poorly with the established setting. I get that the whole point of the Noah has always been the suggestion they were from another time wiped out by a 'flood' of innocence, but that being the distant past or some other similarly quaintly old-fashioned setting would be so much better than a world of skyscrapers and technology. Oh well. I've been invested for a decade or more now, so I'm obviously going to keep reading. 
One Piece 960: Hrmm, cool as he may be, I'm not very interested in the Herculean feats of young Oden, nor why he looks more like Kinemon than the flashback Kinemon does. I wanna get back to the main storyline. 



No comments:

Post a Comment