Friday 13 September 2019


Attack on Titan 121: very interesting! So Eren is utilizing an ability to see into the future to influence the past. He doesn’t need to go into the past to do this, just to be aware that his father can perceive him in the future. This is pretty wild stuff but I’m still on board with it, and Eren being this amazing puppetmaster. We’re a long way from where we started but I’m just fine with that and this feels like the series’ endgame.
Kuroshitsuji 155: I wish we were jumping between the different stories of the staff instead of focusing on this one, which is a bit generic. I’m guessing it will be finished next issue and Ran will sort everything out.
Fake Rebellion 1: Hmm, not sure about this one. I like the art and the idea of the lingering remnants of people’s wills getting focused into a weapon is very nice and potentially extremely moving, but that doesn’t help with an extremely generic set-up, unoriginal world, obvious twist and casual slaughter of undeveloped kid characters for some cheesy impact. I’ll probably give it a chance for a few more chapters – I prefer it to how Samurai 8 started, at least. 
One Piece 955: a build-up chapter, but some great moments with Zoro. I’m interested to see how this develops!
Dr. Stone 121: great chapter! Kohaku’s belief in Senku goes deeper than that, there were some dramatic scenes from Ginro but also he got to be a little heroic – or at least stoic – and we see that the petrification is technology. So probably nanomachines indeed. Lots of action but also great character and plot progression.  
Haikyuu!! 365: Very interesting chapter, dealing with exhaustion in a meaningful way. Poor Hinata – but the speech he was given was great. This felt oddly grounded, even though it’s actually melodramatic when you take a step back. Well-executed, but I hope this doesn’t mean the team is eliminated offscreen and we have to wait for next year.
Chainsawman 38: As usual, this is subversive in all the right ways. The wholesome shining faces as they take part in their ‘tournament’…our antiheroes are very strange, very funny guys. I always enjoy reading this, even if I wouldn’t be devastated if I heard it got cancelled.
The Promised Neverland 150: of course, the big bad can’t be anything but overpowered. But is she the big bad? That’s more likely to be Norman, of course. It will be interesting to see how Faust – I mean Zazie – fares here.
Samurai 8 18: yikes. This chapter actually wasn’t too bad, once I realized how comedic it was meant to be. The enemies are presumably gonna become allies. But to jump into a tournament arc already?! I’m not sure this has even built up the good will to even count as jumping the shark…

No comments:

Post a Comment