Friday 20 July 2012


Soul Eater 99-100: surprisingly, the momentous 100th chapter wasn’t a very interesting one. Still, these two chapters had a funny scene with Noah and Gopher, Death the Kid looking cute, Black Star being amusingly over-the-top and finally another glimpse of Crona, who frankly is the main reason I keep coming back. More Crona please!!


Naruto 594 switched to its protagonist again, who is at least having an interesting face-off with the character posited as the main villain - at least of the arc. A moment between him and Kakashi made it far more likely he is Obito after all, as I've said from the start even when I thought my theory had been shot down in flames. I really can't see where Naruto can go where it won't be underwhelming, though, and good build-up though this chapter has been, the pay-off hasn't been there for many years.

Rock Lee's Springtime of Youth 12 (only 12!) reminded me just how much funnier the gag manga is than its anime counterpart. Another simple idea - Naruto and Lee get their minds swapped into one another's bodies - works really well to build up silly gags and misunderstandings. It's really the timing that just works so much better, though. Panel flow is truly an art, and this silly spin-off does it better than almost any title I can think of.

No comments:

Post a Comment