Tuesday 8 November 2011

Fairy Tail

Fairy Tail 254: joining other major shounen series in a timeskip, Fairy Tail has just moved in an interesting direction – where are the main characters, and what will the minor guild members do to find them. It’s risky, not only shifting away from your main cast but suggesting that they’ll all be totally different when they reappear, but I like it.


Fairy Tail 255: so the time skip isn’t really a time skip at all – or at least, not for any characters that really matter. A little hop into the future and a chance to introduce some new characters. I like it. It’s too early for big changes to Fairy Tail.

Fairy Tail 256: a feel-good chapter of reunions and updates – with the drawing of the cats one of the biggest laughs the title has given me so far. And I chuckled at Juvia’s overactive shipping imagination. I was also glad Lucy thought of her parents – that was the main thing I was wondering about last chapter. Poor Lucy.

Fairy Tail 257&258 take the arc forward. I quite like that there were a lot of loose ends left at the end of the last one, but these two new dragon slayers don’t seem the most interesting thing ever. Well, we’ll see where it goes.

Fairy Tail x Rave: I’m not familiar with Rave Master, but it didn’t take long to get the hang of, and I liked this little crossover special. It was by-the-numbers, down to the usual crossover twist (we’re led to think the bad guy is someone from one series, only to be one from the other), but it was fun and I liked the mangaka poking fun at himself for drawing his main characters to look so similar.

No comments:

Post a Comment